I received a phone call from Larry Hollan this past Saturday with an idea for our chapter's contribution to the new library's quiet reading room. See what you think and PLEASE share your thoughts by posting a comment. That we can read what everyone has to say!
Larry purchased a large square library table and 8 chairs from our library at an auction at some point in the past. He speculated that these may be from the early 1900s (maybe Tri Kappa may have purchased them initially!). They definitely need some repair, but he felt like they were in relatively good condition for their age. He knew we were struggling with the question of how to make a meaningful addition to our new library and wondered if we might want to consider having these items repaired and refinished. He informed me that they are having the librarian's desk/counter stained and a new countertop added...perhaps we would like to have this table and set of chairs done by the same craftsmen in the same finish.
The workers were coming to give the library an estimate for the work needed on the librarian's desk this past Monday. Although I have not talked to Larry since then, he said he would have them get a price estimate for the table and chairs, as well.
What are your thoughts on this? We wouldn't be doing this to save money; in fact, it would probably be just as expensive as purchasing a new chair (maybe even more). It would, however, be preserving a piece of the library's history.
Share your ideas!
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

While I appreciate the idea of restoring some library history, I also would want to be sure it will stand the test of time. I like the "new" book shelf idea the best. But I will support what everyone else feels is best.
ReplyDeleteMany times the older pieces of furniture are solid wood and the newer pieces are laminated. I would be interested in hearing what the craftsman says and would like to know more about the construction of the older items. Are they in pieces or just loose? I love the idea of recycle, reuse, and repair IF done so that they will last another 100 years. Just curious, are they oak? I would guess oak would be strong enough to last and the newer glue would hold.
ReplyDeleteJim and I saved some doors from the Presbyterian Church when old, old doors from the 1920s were being replaced. Years later, when the church burned down, Kevin McCracken spent a lot of time and talent restoring them, and now they are at the entrance to the new sanctuary. We love the continuity between the old church and the new one, plus it is a visual artifact. If the old furniture from the library is sturdy, I'm in favor of giving that as our Tri Kappa gift.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of something from the old library if it is sturdy enough and can be redone well.
ReplyDelete